05 June, 2009

You know what I never understand?

I never understand why if a white person is ethnocentric, it's viewed as racism.
But if a black person is racist, it's just ethnocentricism.
Why is that?
And it's not just because whites are the majority.
If I went where I was considered the minority, and tried to be all "White Power!"
People would say I was racist.
But the second an African American says "Black Power!"
They're just being proud of what their race has overcome.
I don't get it.

3 comments:

Casey W. said...

Yes! It's total reverse discrimination. An African-American comedian can make fun of white people all he wants, but if a Caucasian was to joke about an African-American it would be some big controversy.

Crystalyn said...

Seriously. What is wrong with our world?

miss niecie said...

just a little insight -
1) when there has been a dominant figure in history like the white male, it is common for minorities, whether they be ethnic/gender/whatever, to be loud in voicing their pride. when you are in a society where the norm is so implicit that many don't notice it, it seems like it's racist to be explicit about being proud of your face women in america are much the same, in my opinion. we say "girl power!" and such and when guys say or imply anything like that, we get irked because of the dominance they have held in society.
2) voicing such pride as a white person is not necessarily offensive if it's actually about an ethnicity versus a color (irish pride versus white pride). the connotations are verrrry different.